Thursday, December 15, 2011

Salt Dough Ornaments

I'm not exactly made of money, which is why I cry a little inside whenever I think Christmas presents. I wanted something for my aunts/uncles/cousins/neighbors/friends that would be easy, fast and cheap to make, but still looked nice. Salt dough ornaments are all of the above, and the ingredients are in your pantry!

Salt Dough Ornaments

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water

Mix flour, salt and water until a dough ball forms (I used a mixer, but you could certainly hand mix). Knead for about 5-10 minutes. I'll admit, I was lazy and only kneaded for 5 minutes, and that was with a mixer!

Throw your dough on some parchment or wax paper if you have it and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick.

 This is an optional step, but if you'd like to add a little texture, put a towel or other fabric over the top of the dough and gently roll over it with your roller.

Cut ornaments into whatever shape you'd like. I used the good ol' fashioned glass method, because I'm boring. Then, take a straw and poke a hole into the top of each one. You can either let them air dry on the counter for about 48 hours if you have the time (not recommended if you live in a humid climate like I do) or you can bake at 250 degrees for about 2-3 hours. I ended up doing a combination of both, because they were not air drying fast enough for my liking. 

Next, paint the ornaments whatever color you'd like. Again, because I'm boring, I went with plain white.

Cut out scrapbook paper, wrapping paper or fabric into whatever design you want (the dinosaurs are for my nephews).

I Mod Podged the designs onto my ornament to give them a nice sheen and hung them with red twine. 

These are very easy and fun to make. You can get creative with shapes and designs. I let my son paint a few and then Mod Podged the dinosaurs onto them. And the great thing is, if you mess up it costs like ten cents to make a new batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment