Monday, December 12, 2011

Cranberry Winks

This isn't a craft, so be warned.

I was in the baking mood the other day, so my husband asked me to make his favorite childhood Christmas cookie, cherry winks. I had never heard of, nor tasted cherry winks before because I think cherries are of the devil. I refuse to buy, taste, smell, touch or look at cherries...ok I might look at them, but only if their smell is contained (like in a jar or a picture on the interwebs). My husband knows this, so he agreed to a compromise. And thus, cranberry winks were born!



Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries, divided
2 2/3 c. corn flakes (crushed to 1 1/3 c.)

Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix in oatmeal and set aside. Place dried cranberries in a small bowl, cover with water and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain the cranberries and reserve the liquid. Finely chop 1/2 cup of the reconstituted cranberries and set aside. In mixer or large bowl beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time; beat well. Mix in milk, vanilla and almond extracts and 3 tsp of the cranberry liquid. Add flour mixture; mix well. Fold in chopped cranberries. Shape level tablespoon of dough into balls (dough will be sticky). Roll into crushed corn flakes. Place on greased or parchment paper lined baking sheets. Top each with a reconstituted cranberry. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown.

Enjoy and cherry haters unite!


No comments:

Post a Comment