Sunday, October 30, 2011

Alphabet Wall Art


My son was learning the alphabet while I was putting together my baby girl's room, so I decided to make alphabet wall art for her nursery. I got my inspiration from here, but since I wasn't cool enough to discover Etsy until very recently, I decided to make the letters myself. 


Basically, I bought a bunch of scrapbook paper for around $5 for the background. Then I cut out the letters and glued them to the paper. Then I went to the Dollar Store and found a bunch of frames (easier said than done to find 26 of the same frame). They were black, so I spray painted them white. Then my son thought it'd be awesome to touch all the letters and one of the frames fell and broke. I went back to the Dollar Store and they had no more of the frames I had used, so I bought some similar ones. Now I was about 8 months pregnant at this time and it was July and hot and humid, so I decided against more spray painting and decided, why try to hide the different frames? So I put all the vowels in the different black frames. 

To hang these frames, I got some wall putty and stuck them all up in a line slightly lower than where I wanted them to actually hang. Then I measured the middle of each frame and drew a little line where I needed to place the nail. Then I nailed them and hung them up. Tedious? Yes. Crooked? Maybe. But it was easier than  trying to eyeball it because I just know I'd end up with a gazillion holes in the wall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment